Wednesday 12 January 2011

South Gloucestershire organisation given direct support to improve business


South Gloucestershire organisation given direct support to improve business

Cats Whiskers Face Painting, an entertainment and promotional events business run by Helen Eyre, recently participated in the Adapt to Survive programme.

Set up in 2003 and based in South Gloucestershire, Cats Whiskers Face Painting provides face painting and balloon modelling events with a particular emphasis on the corporate market.

Adapt to Survive is a business improvement programme jointly funded by the South West Regional Improvement and Efficiency Partnership and the local authorities in the West of England (excluding Bristol). The programme provides support to implement change and is delivered through workshops, mentoring and vouchers.

Adapt to Survive was recommended to Helen Eyre as a means of finding further advice to help her business.   Helen joined the programme to tap into this advice and ensure that her business was moving in a financially sound direction.  Helen said:  “Twelve months ago I was at a cross-roads, I did not know what direction to take the business in.  I joined Adapt to Survive with the aim that the programme would provide me with support in making these tough decisions.”

The initial part of the programme was to attend an interactive half day workshop.  The workshop facilitator was Brian Steel.  Helen said:  “I really enjoyed the workshop.  Brian provided me with a step-by-step guide which outlined the steps to success.  I still refer to it now as it contains very useful information which I can use to ensure I keep on track.”

Adapt to Survive also provided the business with support from a business mentor, Coral Jones.  Helen said: “Coral has been a fantastic help to my business. It has been great to have someone to bounce ideas off and share my insecurities and fears for the business with.  These have often been unfounded, but Coral has helped me see this.”

Despite operating in a tough economic climate Cats Whiskers has seen an increase in turnover and profit.  Helen set the business target of an improvement of 25% which has now reached 33%.  Helen said:  “I believe that Coral has directly helped the financial side of the business as she has given me the confidence to make decisions and also provided me with a confidential arena where I can discuss the business finances, often what is missing when you run a business as a Sole Trader.”

Helen used the Adapt to Survive funding to fulfil two development needs, training and social media.  The business use of social media was disjointed therefore Helen undertook a social media review. This helped to reduce the time spent on managing social media initiatives whilst increasing the impact.  She also attended a balloon modelling workshop which provided her with new skills which she was then able to pass onto her team.

By joining Adapt to Survive Helen has brought about change and improved efficiencies in the business.  Helen has worked with Coral to produce a business plan to take her business forward.  Helen said: “The programme has provided me with a forum to discuss business issues not only with Coral but with support from GWE Business West as well.  Adapt to Survive has given me the reassurance to know that I am making the right business decisions.”

To find out more about Adapt to Survive contact Juanita McLaren-Brown on 01225 338 383.  For further information about Coaching for Results please contact Coral Jones on 01275 843923 or visit www.coaching4rslts.co.uk or www.coaching4rslts.com or for Cats Whiskers Face Painting please contact Helen Eyre on 0117 370 6147 or visit www.catswhiskers.biz

No comments: